Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A critque for Animal Physiology

I had to read over a research review for my animal physiology class and I figured it would make a good blog entry to type up a rough draft on here.
Periodontal Disease a Preventive Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Disease?
Synopsis of the paper: This paper is a review of the ongoing argument of whether periodontal (gum/around the tooth area) disease can contribute to the risk of cardiovascular disease. A brief background is discussed on ‘healthy living’; focusing on oral hygiene and the effects that bacteria build up can create. Cardiovascular disease can coincide with PD due to the fact that the bacteria and endotoxins that enter the blood thru the PD infected gums, can also damage or obscure arteries heading to the heart. Current studies researched bacterial numbers in the blood of patients with and without PD, possible increase in mortality of Type 2 diabetes patients that exhibited PD, and a look at what smoking does in regards to PD. This research can have many false positives, and those against PD being a risk factor for CVD take full advantage of exposing this type of data. Researchers still have a lot to prove and many questions have yet to be pursued. Most people see CVD as a huge concern and view PD as something very minor and fixable. If it is proved that better oral hygiene can decrease ones risk for CVD, then just imagine how the upkeep of teeth and the oral cavity will increase amongst our population.
The paper is put together very professionally and has sufficient data to discuss the implications of their topic. It’s an easy read and comes with great interest; I’m going to take better care of my teeth now that I’ve read this. The only real weaknesses I saw was that in the methods/materials/results section, this person places some opinion/ discussion paragraphs. These should definitely go into the discussion/conclusion area since the MMR section is meant for procedure and data. One other thing; I wasn’t sure if the citations were being placed before or after the information he/she got from the source. I sometimes felt he/she was using someone else’s words, but then there was no citation to be found in the rest of the paragraph, except for at the beginning. Not really sure how to change this aspect, but overall, the paper was done very well for this assignment and has given me insight on what I may need to work on in my paper.

No comments: